how’d they do that?!

September 17th, 2010 at 4:52 pm by under Mark Allen's Journal, WTHI Blog

I’ve known some people who have achieved great things in life, but I’ve never known anyone to achieve greater success in this world than my friend Wib Grayless.

The world will not pause to pay tribute to Wib but I want to.

Here’s the short version of my friend’s amazing achievement.

Seventy years ago, Wib met a young woman named Jean.

In 1940, he said something to Jean that changed both their lives. He said ‘I do’.

They were just two kids that began their lives together, who could not understand what lie ahead for them.

But here we are all those years later and Wib and wife Jean are about to celebrate 70 years of marriage.

Seventy years!

The average marriage these days, by the way, lasts 7.8 years.

It’s not been easy for this couple.

Together, Wib and Jean have faced worldwide war, financial hardship, and even the unthinkable heartbreak of losing a child.

But through all that, they’re still standing. Standing together in the kind of love that outlasts time.

Two people who know that in every marriage more than a week old, there are grounds for divorce.

The trick is to find grounds for marriage.

No, you will not see Wib and Jean on entertainment tonight for their achievement.

Don’t look for a Letterman salute.

Not even a plague from society that says ‘MY GOODNESS, TELL US HOW YOU DID IT!’

But I, for one, am proud and amazed at their achievement.

It’s nice to know that there are two people who truly meant it when they spoke those words as young lovers.

“Til death do us part’

Mark

13 Responses to “how’d they do that?!”

1. Dana C. says:

This is one couple I hope to be like. I have been hapily married for 16 years and love him more today than than ever.

2. Donna says:

WOW, 11 years in I can’t imagine 70.

3. Toni says:

Congrats to them. I have known them my whole life. They are the nicest and sweetest people you will ever meet.

4. Mike says:

they have been my neighbors since 1979 when i moved in the area and i couldnt ask for a better set of neighbors. They have always been so friendly and all my past experinces they both have stepped up to help anyone in need without question.

5. Sue Jones says:

Have known the Grayless’ for over 50 years—sweet, sweet Christian couple. Congratulations for showing us all what love is about! May God continue to bless you both and may you both have HAPPY BIRTHDAYS in the next month!

6. Angela Cucullo says:

Congratulations Grandma and Grandpa! Thanks for your love and faith all these years. We are blessed to be a part of your family. Love, Angela, Luca and Luci

7. Vicki Grayless Tirey says:

Congratulations, Mom and Dad! I’ll see you on Saturday for the big celebration. I love you!

Vicki

8. Mark Grayless says:

I’m proud to say they’re my parents, and they have lived the true American dream. I proudly tell folks to spend five minutes with my dad and you can figure out why I act the way I do. LOve you both

9. Annie Rutschow says:

Congratulations, Grandma and Grandpa! You have given us a great example of the love, commitment, faith and friendship that make a marriage last a lifetime. We love you! Annie and Will

10. Amy Mitchel says:

Congratulations Uncle Wib and Aunt Jean! 70 Years of marriage is not seen by many people. I am so proud to be able to call you my aunt and uncle. We love you both very much!!!!!

Happy Birthday to you both as well!!!!

Tom, Amy, Jeramie and Derik

11. Wilma Grayless says:

Jean and Wib are kind, loving people who have been wonderful to me as a daughter-in-love. It’s heart-warming to see their loving concern and devotion for each other, even in their golden years. I feel blessed to be part of their family.

12. Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Grayless! I am so happy that my son has chosen as his beautiful bride the grand-daughter of such a wonderful , loving, and enduring couple. Hopefully these traits will pass down through the family tree! God bless you.

13. Alison Grayless says:

I am blessed to be a part of their family and am honored to call them my grandparents. I know they are a great example for my future marriage and life. Thanks to them for their love for eachother and thier family over the years. Love Alison and Matt