Nincompoops?

November 30th, 2010 at 4:29 pm by under Patrece’s Perspective, WTHI Blog

I read an article today in the Terre Haute Tribune Star that really made me think. It was titled “Are we raising a generation of nincompoops?”

The article quotes several books written about what some are calling the dumbest generation. Men and women under age 30 who are too reliant on technology to do everyday tasks of life.

I have to say I agree. It is strictly my opinion, but from a mother’s point of view I worry about young people today. I’m concerned that high tech toys like cell phones, ipods and laptops are teaching our children how NOT to interact with other human beings. Boys and girls are breaking up relationships via text messages. Parents are solving arguments with their teenagers over Facebook and kids are not learning how to spell properly thanks to lol and idk.

I wonder if young people today will be able to interview for a job face to face or if they will have to type their answers to their future employer’s vital questions?  Will they be able to ask someone for their hand in marriage in person or over a cell phone?  Will they spell properly on their college applications?

I know to a young person reading this I am the one sounding like a nincompoop. I agree kids today are more apt to handle technology than us “middle agers”, however, I also know I am able to look a person in the eye and converse.

Perhaps “Generation Y” is the best name possible for young teens today. WHY oh WHY?

Patrece

11 Responses to “Nincompoops?”

1. kiva jones says:

I agree with Patrice. I wonder about them all!

2. Zack Deal says:

Thank you, Patrece! I’ve always done my best to avoid asinine internet abbreviations and lingo. I’ve always found it funny how dismissive people are about their vocabulary while interacting with other people via the internet. “YOU” becomes “U”, “ARE” becomes “R”. My biggest pet peeve is when people use the wrong “you’re” or just say “UR”. I believe it’s up the the individual to decide how they wish to convey themselves over the internet. I myself prefer not to be a Nin.compoop!

3. Mandy Allen says:

I would have to say that I somewhat agree with this. On the other hand on the point about age I am not so sure. I am 24 years old and I remember a time without computers, cell phones, and paper job applications. I am not so sure that 30 is the age to go by on this one.

4. Steve Caldwell says:

Agree completely! I have seen this for years, a generation that seems incapable of reasoning out simple problems in real life. If they can’t go online and find “cheats” for the problem like they do with games then it can’t be solved. This seem’s to be compounded by a lack of ambition / motivation. It seem’s to be a generation that feel’s they are entitled to and should be given everything. Many Many times I have stated to others of my age group “Who is going to do the work once we are gone??”

5. Linda says:

Well said! We may really be in trouble as these young people grow up and become our nation’s leaders. Each new generation has a whole new set of obstacles to overcome. Is it possible they all still know how to spell correctly, and carry on a conversation? Very worrisome indeed.

6. Ashlee says:

I definitely agree with the statement made in this blog, though I’m a part of this generation. From time to time, I’ll use ‘lol’ or ‘idk’ but that’s generally only for space sake in my messages. It absolutely astounds me the amount of kids these days that can’t spell simple words or even form complete sentences. I’ve come across girls who write stories and before they even begin, they say ‘sorry if my grammar sucks, I’m only a junior in high school.’ (and of course the grammar has been cleaned up, I can’t even begin to write the way they tend to.)
    I’m unsure of what the excuse really is there, but it’s pretty messed up to know that these kids are nearly to the point where they’re starting off in the world as adults and they don’t have the proper language tools to succeed.

7. Bob says:

I wholeheartedly agree. It truly is sad that tomorrow’s leaders are raised to honestly believe that “text-speak” is the way to convey information. However, there are other aspects to this argument that I would like to bring to light. It is possible–however unlikely–that tomorrow’s leaders will be catering to people who grew up the same way. These people will relay the same information as their predecessors, but thanks to shortened versions of the same words, they would be able to do so much more quickly. Therefore, productivity would be–again, in theory–increased.

Another aspect to this argument that I would like to introduce is the lack of concern by modern individuals of correct spelling or grammar on things that are supposed to be “professional.” For example, I see several resumes every day that use the incorrect version of “to” (I.e., “too,” or “two,” or the incorrect version of “your.” I see this daily–even on publications and news websites. We have become entirely too reliant upon things like automatic spell check and we have forgotten that it is necessary sometimes to actually read the things that we put out to represent ourselves.

8. Ann says:

While I do agree with you, I also have to point out who it is that has allowed it to happen. We parents have given our children these items. I see elementary children with cell phones. Why does a young child like that need a cell phone? I can count the times growing up I was allowed to use the home phone on my fingers. We give them computers; unsupervised access, we give them game systems; and as long as the child isn’t bothering up we don’t worry about what they are doing. Recently at one of my extended family’s get-together the teens sat at the table with their cell phones out while they ate; their parents didn’t care. I agree it’s horrible, so much of our children’s generation is horrible; how they act, their abilities in school, the disregard for others. But this comes from parents not raising their children, parents too busy with their own lives, parents acting like they are still teens involved in groups & clubs or dating, parents addicted to drug & alcohol, kids raising themselves cause no one is at home. You get what you sow folks. I have two children myself. No cell phones until they are able to drive and then they will only use them when they are going somewhere so if they are in trouble they can contact me. We have computers but I don’t allow my kids on facebook & other internet sites like that. My kids have gaming systems but are only able to play on them for certain periods of time, same for computer. My husband & I are always reminding them how to act and don’t let the bad behavior slide. When my child comes home telling me about something at school we discuss it and talk about it. I’m not saying my way is the best way, but I had a school teacher recently comment to me out in public that when she see’s my family we are always together shopping and our children are always polite & well behaved. It wasn’t something you seen anymore. Families didn’t go shopping together and if they did their children were running around out of control and the parents did nothing to stop it. So why is ‘Generation Y’ nincompoops? Well, they are just a product of how they have been raised.

9. jamie says:

i agree 100 %.

10. jack says:

another wealthy person of terre haute complaining about todays kids.guess shes just miss perfect with her family and all ?

11. Don says:

Didn’t OUR parents say the same thing about us?

“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
    frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
    words… When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
    respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
    [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint” (Hesiod, 8th century BC