Looking Up To My Kids.. Literally!

August 9th, 2012 at 10:36 am by under Patrece’s Perspective, WTHI Blog

I got a strange feeling today.  I took my two boys to the pediatrician for their annual physical and they are both officially taller than Mom.  I know that’s not a big deal in comparison to lots of other things, but it was a big deal to me.  My oldest son (age 16) has been taller than both Mom and Dad for a while, but now my 13 year old son is taller than I am.

He, of course, was very excited.  I, on the other hand, was kind of melancholy.  It really does seem like yesterday when they were both little.  Wise people used to tell me “cherish the time because it goes fast!”  I guess I didn’t really believe them until I lived through it.

So, as some of you might roll your eyes at my sappy little experience today, others might agree that time truly does go fast and that we should, infact, cherish them when they are little.  I’m really enjoying the teenage times and wouldn’t trade anything.  I guess I will just have to suck it up and realize I am the short one in the family now! lol

8 Responses to “Looking Up To My Kids.. Literally!”

1. Paula Grant says:

Patrece:

You know how I was feeling about Mary Elizabeth leaving for school, but seeing how happy she is has made it easier. It does go so fast and I feel for you, but hang in there. You are raising two terrific young men and you have a lot of which to be proud!

2. Just wait till your grandkids are taller then you! wow time does go by too fast! My grandaughter is 19. and grandson is 15, 6ft. 2in. cant believe it!

3. Vanceletta Colclasure says:

I love your little post there! I totally agree with you because my son turned 18 months today and he is trying to do everything for himself and it makes me sad. He’ll be taller than me in no time too! I’m 5′ 1″ and his father is 6’4″ :D

4. Patrece I know exactly how you feel!! My 14 year old soon to be a freshman in high school as been looking forward to the day when he is taller than me. The look on his face when that finally happend was unreal. I would have to say in his 14 years this was the first event in his life that got me sad that my baby is growing up!! Besides who cares if people think we are silly for being a bit sad or a bit melancholy about this milestone in our son’s lives. They are and will always be our babies and everything they do and achive in their lives will make us feel that way. We are mom’s its our job!!!

5. Susan Kirk says:

I know exactly how you feel. I also have two sons. My oldest, who turned 15 last month, has been taller than me for quite a while now. I think I handled that pretty well. However, when my youngest, who turns 14 next month, told me that he was now taller than me I was sad. I always expected that they would be tall like their dad (who’s 6’2″). Yet, when it actually happened it was a shock to realize that my little boys are no longer so little.

6. Kim Julian says:

Patrece,

I totally agree with you! I am the short one in my family also. Time really does fly. It seems like only yesterday when both of my children were little. Now they are 22 and 17, and my 17 year old has joined the military.

7. Elizabeth says:

I don’t think you are being sappy at all. You are expressing something that a lot of moms experience. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel! My oldest towers over me by almost a foot. My daughter is officially my height. It won’t be long and the baby will be passing me as well. Tuesday will be especially difficult as my oldest will be starting high school, my middle one is in her last year of middle school and my baby is starting kindergarten. So as you, I will cherish every waking moment with them and know that it will be over before I know it.

8. Linda Bennett says:

Wow, Patrece, I remember when they were born! Time flies so fast when you have kids!!! I bet they are both handsome young men!!!